Saturday 27 February 2021
The rain has abated and, although you wouldn’t call it warm, the chill has gone. We’ve even had some sunshine! All of which means it’s time to get the vegetable plot ready.
We don’t have a garden, much to my constant distress, but we do have a raised bed and a small plot in the polytunnel at Space to Grow, Moffat, a local charity on whose board I sit. So, yesterday we ankled down there to tidy things up.
Sick of the bloody grass that has plagued me for the last few years, I decided to remove a foot of soil and replace it with fresh. The fresh is probably just as weedy as the stuff I shovelled off, in terms of seed, because we just took it from a collapsed raised bed elsewhere on the site. But the next part of my plan to get several large sacks of compost to use as a mulch. Fingers crossed that suppresses the weeds for long enough to give my vegetables a chance.
While I removed the weeds and grass with one wheelbarrow D brought the fresh soil in another, and this (right) is how we left it. Now I need to work out what to grow. We have rhubarb, you can just see it at the far end, and those twigs are raspberry canes which we put in last year. I now need vegetables that I want to eat and that will be happy in close proximity to each other. Hence, I’ve been looking at charts like this (from here).
Tuesday 2nd March
I’ve now ordered a bunch of seeds from Sarah Raven that includes:
red spring onions
I hope I have the space for it all.
Friday 5 March
Of course, the courgettes will go in the polytunnel, along with tomatoes, chillies, and the strawberry I stuck in there a couple of years ago that has now become several plants.
On Monday I dug them all up, weeded, topped up with compost and chicken poo, and put them at one end of the plot. They had totally taken over.
I have tomato seeds left from last year, which I must sew this weekend. For the chillies I’ll take the seeds from one of last year’s crop, the remainder of which have dried while hanging off a nail in the kitchen. I’ve been growing these chillies for years. The original (mother) came from Edinburgh institution, Valvona & Crolla, not for growing, but for eating. I’m not quite sure how I ended up planting some seeds but, however that was, it worked. They just seem to grow and each plant produces zillions of little scarlet fruits, like tiny lipsticks. They dry without any faffing, I do nothing more than tie them in bunches with string and hang them wherever, so we now have a near perpetual chilli supply. All that’s required is for me to actually sew the seeds, which, again, I really must do this weekend.
Our kitchen is set become a potting shed for a while, with little pots on every windowsill and compost all over the floor.